Unfortunately, the GCSE summer 2021 exams have been stopped and the government has introduced teacher assessed grades to replace the GCSE exams. Every student at college and schools will obtain their final GCSE grade this year through teacher assessed grades. A levels, Universities and employers require GCSE grades, especially maths and English grades. Adult learners, homeschooled students, external candidates and students who are not in mainstream education can’t obtain a teacher assessed grade from a centre, school or college since they are not connected to one. The information below should help you understand how to obtain a teacher assessed grade and other qualifications that are equivalent to GCSEs.

Teacher assessed grades for those in schools and colleges

The mock exams and ongoing work is important, therefore you need to carry on with the hard work and try your best. The teacher assessed grade can be supported with external controlled assessments that are like a mock exam where the results will be sent to your establishment as evidence for the grade. MME has controlled assessments for GCSE maths exams that will be sent to your college or school for the grade.

GCSE Exams and GCSE resits

Not all exams have been abandoned this year, the November 2021 resits for GCSEs and iGCSEs are still being sat and you can book as an external candidate with MME. Get in contact with MME by calling them on 020 3633 5145 to get more information. If you want to find out more about the GCSE November resit exams, then look at MME’s GCSE maths retake page.

Teacher assessed grades for external candidates

Teacher assessed grades for external candidates who are not connected with a centre can take a series of assessments that MME and GCSE examiners have made to help you get your final GCSE grade. You can already book into MME’s GCSE maths controlled assessment on their page.

Alternatives to GCSE exams and teacher assessed grades

The GCSE exam qualifications are not the only ones you can obtain, there are alternatives. You would have seen a phrase when applying to Universities or certain jobs that is often used which is ‘Give your GCSE or GCSE equivalent qualifications‘. People often call GCSE equivalent qualifications, functional skills. A level 2 functional skills qualification is often accepted by employers and Universities since it is equivalent to a grade C/level 4. Below is more information about this qualification:

Nurses and Trainee Teachers

If you are looking at courses such as nursing and teacher training, there are other options that you can look at. Many employers and Universities recognise and accept the GCSE equivalency test qualifications. This qualification unfortunately isn’t universal, so it is recommended that you ask the course provider or employer if they accept this qualification and then book the exam. The equivalency tests are very common amongst trainee teachers and this is due to most training providers and SCITT’s preferring this qualification over functional skills.